Machico was the first point of the island which was discovered in 1419. It houses the oldest church on the island as well as an imported beach.
We spent a few hours wandering its streets and here is the result.
The beach is at the southern tip. ON one side it is surrounded by mountains and imported sand and on the other a pebble beach.
The aqueduct and bridge
The aqueduct at the northern part of the town dates back to the 15th century.
Dividing the town into two is the huge river bed. The river is not very fast flowing at the moment and there’s many trees. shrubs and flowers growing inside it. There are some interesting, red-faced ducks, in there to look at too.
Built in the 15th century in honour of ‘Our Lady of Conception’, this church looms large over the centre of the town.
The town is a set of intertwining cobbled streets which play host to old buildings in a state of array.
LEAVE US A COMMENT
If you like this post, leave us a comment below or sign up to be notified of our newest posts. 🙂